Considerations at the End of Time With “Essential Questions”. Lifted from the book, Ultimate Education by Ellen Dana
A craze is in the world—a bent to socialize and immerse our children in everything from violin lessons, to drama and ice skating. New ones emerge almost every week. Judge for yourself where that bent is headed. Principles in quotes below, are extracted at random from an old book with an up-to-date message, a message for end-time people. We are much closer to the end of time than when it was written over 100 years ago, making it of double importance. The book is Child Guidance, by an author well known in her day and whose publications keep on blessing many Christian homes.
First we should ask a modern “Essential Question.” The worldly educators believe they have something new and innovative, in these thought-provoking questions, but as a Christian…
I would define Essential Questions as “The questions that point the way into fellowship with our heavenly Father and fulfill the deepest longing of our spiritual lives.”
We also need to remember that it was on lack of trust that Eve succumbed to the serpent in the garden, buying the strong intimations of the Adversary that “God is holding out on you. You’ll be much smarter when you eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.”
We need to ask our own “essential questions,” but not from the same mindset as those educators in today’s secular systems who must find substitutes for godly education.
“Fathers and mothers, in full assurance of faith plead with your sons and daughters. Let them not hear one impatient word from your lips….” p 476
Moore Academy Essential Question: How will the children hear patient words if they are continually gone from the home? If they are not hearing patient words at home, what can you do about it?
- “Fathers and mothers who have in various ways indulged your children to their hurt, God desires you to redeem the time. Take heed while it is called today.” P 476
Moore Academy Essential Question: If parents 100 years ago needed to redeem the time, what about today?
- “Pray much more than you do. Lovingly, tenderly, teach your children to come to God as their heavenly Father. By your example teach them self-control and helpfulness. Tell them that Christ lived not to please Himself.” P 478
Moore Academy Essential Question: How will they see an example in you if they aren’t there to see it? Whose example will they be observing and how much control will you have in that situation if they are not learning from you in the home?
- “It costs something to bring children up in the way of God. It costs a mother’s tears and a father’s prayers. It calls for unflagging effort, for patient instruction, here a little and there a little. But this work pays. Parents can thus build around their children bulwarks which will preserve them from the evil that is flooding our world. p 479
Moore Academy Essential Question: Are you paying for the right kind of lessons? What spiritual lessons will you teach “here a little and there a little” while the child is gone to a group class or event aimed at caring for his supposed need for socialization or early development of skills, urgently pressed by “significant others”?
- “Teach your children that the heart must be trained to self-control and self-denial. The motives of the life must be in harmony with the law of God.” p 558
Moore Academy Essential Question: Would you know whether your children have self-control and whether they deny themselves if they are not often near you, working with you, studying with you, learning at your knee?
- “In the solemn assembly of the last day, in the hearing of the universe, will be read the reason of the condemnation of the sinner. For the first time parents will learn what has been the secret life of their children.” p 560
Moore Academy Essential Question: Would you not rather know now what the secrets are that may keep your children from living in precious fellowship with Jesus? Now is the time to work, pray and study with your children, putting a hedge about them so they begin now to enjoy sweet fellowship with Christ. This is not to escape the fires of the last days for it is not a “fire escape,” but a road to glorious moment-by-moment living in Christ. They will then also be able to meet the King of the Universe when He comes in glory. Every moment is precious time!
Moore Academy Essential Question: Am I personally learning at the feet of Jesus how to be completely submissive to Him so that He can work out His will in my life and in the life of my child?
Read the book* for yourself and ask yourself the questions. No more time is left to think of “business as usual.”